Based in Renton, WA
When it's done
PC / Mac / Linux
DescriptionFRONTIERS blends the feel of first-person RPG classics like Daggerfall with the relaxing tempo and simplicity of a point-and-click adventure. Discover ancient mysteries, live off the land and fight deadly creatures, all in a beautiful open world.
HistoryWork on FRONTIERS begain in February 2012. At the time it took the form of a Minecraft-style sandbox with survival elements, and some of those early Minecraft roots can still be spotted. However when the terrain engine still wasn't finished in November 2012, the sandbox elements were scrapped and the focus was shifted to exploration in an Elder Scrolls style open world. Feedback from early playtesters was positive so this is the direction the game has taken ever since. In May 2013 the first trailer was released and the early response was been both positive and skeptical due to the project's ambition. In response to this enthusiasm an IndieGoGo campaign was launched. The campaign did fairly well, pulling in $10,000 in roughly two weeks, but after realizing that the campaign would not reach its $80,000 goal the plug was pulled and the campaign was relaunched on the more indie-game-friendly Kickstarter. There the game successfully reached its goal of $50,000 within seven days and then went on to raise a total $157,000 from about 4,500 backers. Development has continued since the campaign ended. A closed alpha was released to backers in February of 2014 and a closed beta is scheduled to be released in November of 2014. The game will be released on Steam Early Access shortly after.
- Massive open world - go anywhere, any time
- Unique relaxing pace and tone
- An exploration-focused main quest that spans an entire continent
- Simple gameplay - no stats or skill trees to memorize. (It barely qualifies as an RPG, really)
- Live off the land - hunt, trap, fish and cook dozens of varieties of plantlife (including hallucinogens!) and a dozen varieties of animal
- Minecraft-style crafting system
- Dozens of skills to discover and learn, including magic, survival and stealth skills
- Hundreds of shops, taverns, homes, caves, castles and other structures to explore
- Four-player co-op multiplayer - explore with your friends!
- A haunting soundtrack for every region
- Oculus Rift support
Steam Greenlight Trailer YouTube
Campagin Trailer 1 YouTube
Gameplay Video - Fast Travel YouTube
Awards & Recognition
FRONTIERS has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
- "I am constantly impressed by indie productions that honestly have no business being indie."
- Nathan Grayson, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "If your idea of the perfect RPG is clearing hundreds of monster ridden dungeons in search of marginal stat buffs to your gear, Simkins openly admits that Frontiers may not be for you."
- Phil Savage, PC Gamer
- "Game developer Lars Simkins would like you to experience a sense of wonder. And accomplishment. Maybe even a laugh or two."
- Megan Farokhmanesh, Polygon
- "An open-world RPG? With a relaxing tempo? Good Lord, it's like they asked me what I wanted from a video game and decided to go out and make it."
- Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About AAD Productions
A VFX and Indie Game studio based near Seattle.
More information on AAD Productions, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Lead Designer / Artist
Lead Lore Writer